The driver is a highly sought-after professional figure in the job market and is ideal for those who love to drive. Furthermore, the different types of driver differ according to the vehicle driven and the transport of people or things, and the reasons that lead to a career in transport can be as different as the vehicles are driven are different: for example, those who work in the ‘sphere of transportation of persons usually appreciates relations with passengers and stable working hours, as in the case of the driver of buses and coaches, and for freight most appreciated aspects are generally the flexibility in timetables and the possibility of being in a different place every day, especially if you work on long routes.
The different types of driver
The driver is a generic name that indicates the professional expert in driving a vehicle for the transport of goods or people but who, at the same time, includes numerous specific professional figures, which differ according to the type of vehicle driven and based on what this vehicle carries: people or goods.
In fact, in the case of transportation of persons, in addition to driving the vehicle, the driver will be responsible for the safety of passengers during the journey, the monitoring of the safety of persons being transported.
Instead, in the event that the vehicle is used for the transport of goods, in addition to driving the vehicle, the driver will have to supervise the loading and unloading operations and will be responsible for the integrity of the load from the point of departure to the point of arrival.
The tasks and duties of the driver
Among the main tasks to be performed as a driver we can find:
- drive and maneuver the vehicle accurately, efficiently, and safely;
- comply with road safety, passenger transport, and goods traffic regulations ;
- manage the loading and unloading of goods ;
- guarantee the safety of passengers and the integrity of the transported goods ;
- respect the routes established for transport and delivery deadlines.
The requirements for working as a driver
Often in the job offers for driver other requirements are requested, in addition to the valid driving license for the vehicle you will be driving. Among these we can find:
- ability to intervene in emergency situations by repairing small faults and carrying out ordinary and extraordinary maintenance on the vehicle;
- knowledge of the roads and ability to orient oneself along the route to be taken;
- willingness to travel.
In the logistics sector, then, the possession of a forklift license (forklift) may be required, and among the most sought-after professional figures stand out the warehouse drivers who, in addition to the transport and delivery of goods, are also able to deal with autonomously in the preparation of loading, loading, and unloading of goods (manual and with a forklift), handling of goods and organizing the warehouse.
In addition, some companies transport may take possession of the tachograph card, an electronic device that records the activity of motor vehicles used for the transport of persons or goods while for special transport, such as transport of goods dangerous of goods perishable, live animals or exceptional loads, may be required of drivers’ qualifications and specific qualifications.
The necessary licenses for each type of driver
The basic requirement for working as a driver is a driving license, but a specific license is required for each type of vehicle. So let’s see which license it is necessary to obtain for the different types.
Truck and bus driver
The most requested license for a truck driver is the C, in conjunction with the CQC freight , but to drive trucks of limited weight, the C1 license (lower than the C) is sufficient . It is also important to know that:
- in order to achieve the license C1 or C you must already have the license B;
- the C license also includes the B and C1 licenses;
- all licenses for freight transport are valid for 5 years, up to the age of 65.
The driver of buses and coaches
To drive cars for own use with a number of seats greater than 9, a driving license D is required, while to drive buses and school buses it is necessary to obtain the CQC persons. In addition, it is also possible to obtain the D1 license, which allows you to drive buses of limited sizes, such as minibusses, with a number of seats not exceeding 16.
- It is also important to know that:
- for the D1 license you need at least 21 years of age;
- for the D driving license you need at least 24 years (21 years if you also obtain the CQC persons );
- the driving license D must be renewed every 5 years up to 60 years of age.
To become an ambulance driver it is necessary to participate in the public competitions that are held, in which requirements such as Australian citizenship, physical fitness for employment, being 21 years of age, having a B license is usually required for at least 2 years, be in possession of the title of rescuer and have gained previous experience in voluntary organizations or in private companies or cooperatives.
To undertake the profession of taxi driver it is necessary to obtain certain documents and licenses, including the Driver’s Qualification Card (CQC), registration in the role of a driver for the non-scheduled public service at the Chamber of Trade in your region, and the license to drive a taxi. In addition, it is necessary:
- be at least 21 years of age;
- not having received recent prison sentences;
- be resident in the city where you want to work (or within a maximum of 50 km);
- have a driving license B or a higher license;
- own a vehicle in accordance with the law;
- have exclusive and continuous access to the vehicle used as a taxi ;
- not to possess, or have recently possessed, other licenses of the same type for other territories and not to continuously carry out another profession.
Job offers and job opportunities
In addition to the types already listed, the profession can also include professional licenses for special transport, or, especially in the case of experience gained over time, it can lead to other professional opportunities, such as a driving school teacher and a driving instructor.
Furthermore, the driver is one of the most sought-after professional figures by transport companies, by companies that deal with shipping and logistics and by local public transport companies, but also by private companies that offer passenger transport services and in the tourism sector…
In addition to these job offers, finally, they can also work independently, in a taxi or making deliveries with his own vehicle.
Another article on this blog that may interests you: